Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Scoring Session

Once I had decided on the final idea for my film, and i'd completed a rough first draft of the script, I began thinking about what kind of music I wanted for the soundtrack. I wanted the music to be very lighthearted and quirky so I started listening to certain film soundtracks to find the right sound, but I was struggling to find anything I really wanted in the film, but mainly grew more against the idea of using music from existing films.

The soundtrack to the 2008 film 'Step Brothers' was one that came very close to the style of music I was looking for, but a soundtrack album was never released for the film. The only piece of music from the film I could find was this youtube clip...



In the end I decided that I would write my own soundtrack for the film. However, the idea for the main theme didn't come out intentionally. It came from a random jam I had with my friend Anthony Clifford. It was a complete accident, but we played it for about a minute, I knew it was perfect. I recorded a rough version of it on my phone, and a few days later we recorded it in Anthony's kitchen.

This is a video of us recording the first take.



We did 3 takes of the track. We deemed take 3 to be good enough. The rest of the evening was spent recording a few more tracks that I had written before hand. They all have a similar vibe to this and I'm pretty happy with how the soundtrack has came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment