Thursday, March 24, 2011

What Makes A TV / Film Company Ident?

Every major film company, television broadcaster and production company have their own company ident. These are the very short (usually, but not restricted to, around 10 to 20 seconds long) production logo videos usually seen at the beginning of a movie or at the end of a television show. These 'idents' are to identify to the viewer the company that is providing the entertainment.

The Jumping 'Dog' BBC 2 Ident from the 90's

We were tasked with making our own ident for BBC 2. My idea was to create one with a wildlife theme to go at the beginning of wildlife documentaries and tv shows like Countryfile. But instead of showing actual wildlife, I was going to have footage of my budgie. Here is the original storyboard...



Having just got a new mobile phone with a HD video camera, that was what I decided to film the short video with. I filmed all the shots that I wanted without a problem, however when I arrived at the college to edit my masterpiece, the video files would not work properly with the version of Adobe Premiere installed on the computer. With the deadline looming, I had no choice but to use what I could with the footage. This is what I ended up with.



Because of the sketchy nature of the video, I figured the soundtrack to the video should be just as sketchy. I can't imagine the BBC ever wanting to use this iden

No comments:

Post a Comment